The traditional boat association of Greece was founded in Perama, Attica in November 1999 by twenty five lovers of Greek Traditional boat building. Since then we have greatly increased in number and have tried to:
- Record the last remaining traditional boats throughout Greece
- Preserve the old wooden hulls and restore them.
- Promote laws that favor the use of traditional boats for tourism and laws favoring traditional boat yards.
- Protect the marine environment
- Start a floating maritime museum of traditional boats.
- Organize events to make traditional boats known to the wider public such as boat shows and forums.
- Teach young people traditional sailing techniques and traditional boat building.
- Stop the senseless destruction of traditional hulls as it is practiced today through the method of subsidy.